A Carer’s assessment is an opportunity for you to tell someone what impact caring has on your life. The Care Act 2014 states that if you appear to have any level of need for support, then you have a legal right to an assessment of your own needs. You can have a Carer’s assessment even if the person you care for does not want to have a needs assessment to look at what help they need.
Involve Carers have been contracted by KCC to provide the Carers’ Assessment and Support Service for the Maidstone and Malling areas. Carers’ assessments in this contract are for adult carers, caring for another adult. One of our Assessment and Support Coordinators will meet with you so that together you can talk about your situation, the impact on your life, and what might support you and make your role easier.
Your Carer’s assessment should cover the following:
- Your caring role
- Your own health
- Your feelings and choices about caring, work, study, leisure and housing
- What you would most like to achieve
Following the assessment a support plan will be agreed with you. This will outline what can be done to assist you and may include some of the following options:
- Information, advice and guidance
- Having a regular or occasional break from your caring role
- How to stay safe and well (including emergencies)
- Options for emotional support, including connecting with other Carers
- If eligible, a personal budget to meet identified need
- Access to alternative care if your health is at risk due to your caring role